Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Joy in the Journey

I'm here in the Holy City! I have met some amazing people on these flights. From D.C. to Vienna I sat next to Leon Ianosh who was on his way to Romania on a mission for the Pentacostal church. Leon is first-generation American and grew up speaking Romanian in his home and I just wished that Jeff had been there to chat with him! That nine hours passed surprisingly quickly but once we landed the jet lag hit me like a semi! Vienna International has practically no sitting area so I ended up sleeping on the floor for the next two hours...it's amazing what seems justifiable when I'm sleep deprived. I'm officially a contributor to the European view of pig-headed Americans. I met Mosha from Warsaw, Poland on the flight from Vienna to Tel Aviv and then I wished that BJ was there to talk to her! How cool is it that no matter where I am in the world I have at least one friend that can speak that language because they have served the Lord for two years in that country?

Tel Aviv was so hot when we landed! I am literally in a desert (Mom: wink, wink) but it is still beautiful. There are laws in Jerusalem that require each building to be convered in white limestone and it really makes the city sprakle! We had a wonderful meal in the Center Cafeteria (briased beef, fresh pita, lima beans and rice) and then took an orientation tour of the Center. It is gorgeous! I couldn't have asked for a more asthetically pleasing place to live. After dinner we went out on the terrace and listened to the Call to Prayer. It is especially loud and long lately because Muslims are in the middle of Ramadan and the evening call is permission to eat after the entire day of fasting. The call was blasted over the city through speakers and sung in arabic by one man following a mesmerizing line. The rich, lilting melody was just right to snap me back to reality: I'm in Jerusalem!

Sunset over Jerusalem on our first night here.

2 comments:

  1. I love my girl. Literally! Enjoy and be sure to get your rest. Don't wait for the in-house doctor to tell you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is incredible! I'm so glad you're sharing your experiences with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete